| Data Gathering Process
| Transaction Data
PeerComps was created to provide valuation professionals, intermediaries, buyers and sellers with the most reliable information possible on comparable transactions for small businesses. Our database focuses on “main street” businesses with annual revenue between $250,000 and $5 million (average revenue of $1 million).
Reliable data must come from reliable and unbiased sources. Our transaction data has been gathered from national, regional and local SBA lenders across the United States. The data encompasses all major industry classifications and even includes specialized industries such as Veterinary Practices (143), Chiropractors (126), Accounting Practices (223), Dental Practices (211), and Specific Franchises (452).
Data Gathering Process
PeerComps is in cooperation with the National Association of Guaranteed Government Lenders (NAGGL). Since 1998, PeerComps and our affiliates have gathered information on over 5,000 transactions from SBA lenders. Transactions are updated frequently and an average of 100 new comps are added each month. Participating SBA lenders are given access to the data for their internal use.
- The data has been filtered and cross-checked for inconsistencies, errors and identical transactions.
- Approximately 90% of the transactions are “asset sales”; however, if included in the sale, all real estate, cash, accounts receivable, non-operating assets, and all liabilities have been stripped to achieve a typical “asset sale”.
- Each transaction is categorized by NAICS code, industry classification or keyword, and typical financial variables for maximum search ability.
- All company names have been eliminated and replaced by keyword or industry classification for confidentiality.
Each comparable transaction includes the following:
- Business type
- North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) Code
- NAICS industry classification
- Enterprise or “asset” price (furniture, fixtures, equipment, inventory & goodwill)
- Transaction Date
- Transaction State
- Seller’s Discretionary Earnings (SDE)
- Adjusted Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation & Amortization (EBITDA)
- Assets (Inventory, Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment)
PeerComps was originally created by Steve Mize, ASA. Steve is co-founder of GCF Valuation, a firm specializing in valuing small to mid-size businesses and professional practices. Steve oversees a division for GCF Valuation, focusing on valuations for Small Business Administration (SBA) lenders. GCF currently works with over 100 SBA lenders throughout the U.S. Steve is also an active Member of the National Association of Guaranteed Government Lenders (NAGGL). These relationships have allowed for the gathering and analysis of transaction data specific to SBA lending.